Place:


Arlington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arlington like this:

ARLINGTON, a parish in Hailsham district, Sussex; on the river Cuckmere, 1 mile NE of Berwick r. station, and 4 SW by W of Hailsham. It has a post office under Hurst-Green. Acres, 5,185. Real property, £5,681. Pop., 623. Houses, 123. The Roman Anderida Sylva occupied all the surface; and the Roman camp of Burlow Castle is in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £156.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The Dicker p. curacy is a separate benefice.

Arlington through time

Arlington is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arlington, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8209

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arlington ".