Place:


Keele  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Keele like this:

KEELE, a village and a parish in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands 1½ mile S of Silverdale r. station, and 2 ½ W by S of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a post office under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The parish comprises 2, 579 acres. Real property, £18, 115; of which £12, 000 are in mines, and £200 in iron works. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 232; in 1861, 1, 062. Houses, 211. The manor, with Keele Hall and all the land, belongs to R. Sneyd, Esq. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in collieries, ironstone mines, smelting furnaces, and a silk mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £195. * Patron, R. Sneyd, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1790, and has an embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £17.

Keele through time

Keele is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Keele itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keele, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8202

Date accessed: 15th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Keele ".