Place:


Appledram  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appledram like this:

APPLEDRAM, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on the E side of Chichester harbour, adjacent to the Arundel and Portsmouth canal and the South Coast railway, 2 miles SW of Chichester. Post Town, Chichester. Acres, 1,197; of which 290 are water. Real property, £1,768. Pop., 129. Houses, 29. ...


The property is divided among four. Appledram House is an old Tudor edifice. A farmhouse near the church is said to have been part of a castle which William Renan was stopped in building in the time of Edward II., and the rest of the materials for which he used in erecting the tower that bears his name at Chichester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £64. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is early English, and had a chantry.

Appledram through time

Appledram is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appledram itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appledram, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8185

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appledram ".