Place:


Cheddleton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheddleton like this:

CHEDDLETON, a township and a parish in Cheadle district, Stafford. The township is conjoint with Rownall township, including part of Cellar-Head hamlet; lies on the Uttoxeter canal and the North Stafford railway, 2½ miles S of Leek; and has a station on the railway. Real property, £8, 300. ...


Pop., 1,802. Houses, 377. The parish contains also the townships of Cunsall and Basford; and its post town is Leek, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 9, 080. Real property, £14, 213. Pop., 2, 050. Houses, 426. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £160. Patron, the Rev. E. Powys. The church is old but good. The p. curacy of Wetley-Rocks is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £21 from endowment; and other charities £8.

Cheddleton through time

Cheddleton is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheddleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheddleton in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7996

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheddleton ".