Place:


Ashley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashley like this:

ASHLEY, a parish in the district of Market-Drayton, and county of Stafford; 4 miles SW of Whitmore r. station, and 5 ENE of Market-Drayton. It contains the village of Ashley-Heath, and part of the hamlet of Hook-Gate; and has a post office under Market-Drayton. Acres, 2,860. Real property, £5,308. ...


Pop., 870. Houses, 195. The property is much subdivided. There is a Roman camp on a site 803 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £316.* Patron, Mrs. Kinnersley, two turns, and H.Meynall Ingram, Esq., one turn. The church is very good, has a font given by a soldier of the Black Prince, and was enlarged by a chapel which contains handsome monuments of the Kinnersleys. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics, and charities £22.

Ashley through time

Ashley is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashley, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7869

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashley ".