Place:


Whatton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whatton like this:

WHATTON, a township and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The township lies on the river Smite, ¾ mile SE of Aslackton r. station, and 2¾ E of Bingham: and has a post-office under Nottingham. Real property, £3,842. Pop., 353. Houses, 73. The parish includes Aslackton township, and comprises 3,100 acres. ...


Pop., 763. Houses, 170. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with the Manor House, belongs to T. D. Hall, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £212.* Patron, T. D. Hall, Esq. The church is ancient, with a modern chancel; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some charities. Archbishop Cranmer was a native.

Whatton through time

Whatton is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whatton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whatton, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7810

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whatton ".