Place:


Stapleford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stapleford like this:

STAPLEFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Shardlow and county of Nottingham. The village stands on the river Erewash, ½ a mile SE of Sandiacre r. station, and 6 WSW of Nottingham; carries on silk and lace manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Nottingham. ...


The parish comprises 1,450 acres. Real property, £4,866. Pop. in 1851, 1,968; in 1861, 1,729. Houses, 382. The property is much divided. S. Hall was built in 1797 by Admiral Warren, and is now the seat ofI. Wright, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £155.* Patron, H. Morris, Esq. The church is very old. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed school.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes and a part. Pop., 8,952. Houses, 2,004.

Stapleford through time

Stapleford is now part of Broxtowe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stapleford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stapleford, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7763

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stapleford ".