Place:


Radcliffe on Trent  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Radcliffe on Trent like this:

RATCLIFFE-ON-TRENT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, at the Ratcliffe station of the Nottingham and Grantham railway, 5¼ miles E of Nottingham; and has a post-office‡ under Nottingham, a police station, and a ferry over the Trent. ...


The parish comprises 1,880 acres. Real property, £5, 794. Pop. in 1851, 1, 273; in 1861, 1, 371. Houses, 293. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers. Malting and skeen-basket-making are carried on. The parish is a meet for the Donnington hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £198.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is old, has a tower, and was recently repaired. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a freeschool, and charities £30.—The sub-district contains also 15 other parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 36, 444. Pop., 7, 791. Houses, 1, 688.

Radcliffe on Trent through time

Radcliffe on Trent is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Radcliffe on Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Radcliffe on Trent, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7731

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Radcliffe on Trent ".