Place:


Papplewick  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Papplewick like this:

PAPPLEWICK, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands on the river Leen, 1 mile E N E of Linby r station, and 6½ S of Mansfield; and has a post-office under Nottingham, and a sheep fair on the last Tuesday of Aug. The parish, together with Newstead Priory liberty, comprises 5, 250 acres. ...


Real property of P. alone, £1, 675. Pop., 270. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to A. F. W. Montague, Esq. P. Hallis the seat of H. F. Walter, Esq.; and a cave, called Robin Hood's Stable, is near the lodge. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £91. Patron, A. F. W. Montague, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1795.

Papplewick through time

Papplewick is now part of Gedling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Papplewick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Papplewick, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7725

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Papplewick ".