Place:


Wolstanton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wolstanton like this:

WOLSTANTON, a village, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the North Staffordshire railway, between Etruria and Burslem r. stations, 2 miles NNW of Stoke-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Stoke-upon-Trent, a church almost entirely rebuilt in 1860 at a cost of £4,500, a Wesleyan chapel built in 1866, and charities £16. ...


The township includes the village, and extends beyond it. Real property, £6,577. Pop. in 1851, 1,317; in 1861, 1,842. Houses, 395. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the earthen-ware trade. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The parish contains 12 townships, and comprises 10,739 acres. Pop. in 1851 ,22,191; in 1861, 32,029. Houses, 6,237. The property is much subdivided. Most of the area lies within the tract called the Potteries; and there are numerous porcelain and earthenware factories, many brick and tile yards, and several iron and steel works, engine works, and silk and cotton mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350.* Patron, R. Sneyd, Esq. The vicarages of New Chapel, Chesterton, Mowcop, Silverdale, Tunstall, Kidsgrove, and Golden-Hill, are separate benefices.—The sub-district includes only four townships. Pop., 9,653. Houses, 1,985.—The district includes Tunstall sub-district, comprising all the rest of W. parish, and Burslem sub-district conterminate with Burslem parish. Acres of the district, 13,679. Poor rates in 1863, £13,938. Pop. in 1851, 42,916; in 1861, 54,356. Houses, 10,627. Marriages in 1866, 717; births, 2,853,-of which 203 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,960,-of which 1,079 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 5,466; births, 20,906; deaths, 12,595. The places of worship, in 1851, were 10 of the Church of England , with 6,183 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 350 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 120 s.; 1 of -Unitarians, the s. not reported; 14 of Wesleyans, with 5,261 s.; 6 of New Connexion Methodists, with 1,708 s.; 11 of Primitive Methodists, with 2,582 s.; 2 of the Wesleyan Association, with 1,556 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 500 s. The schools were 18 public day-schools, with 2,266 scholars; 59 private day-schools, with 1,750 s.; 40 Sunday schools, with 9,301 s.; and 4 evening schools for adults, with 46 s. The workhouse is in Chell township.

Wolstanton through time

Wolstanton is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wolstanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wolstanton, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/772

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wolstanton ".