Place:


Nuthall  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nuthall like this:

NUTHALL, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands 2 miles W of Bulwell r.station, and 4½ N W by N of Nottingham; and has a post-office under Nottingham. The parish contains also the hamlets of Awsworth, Hempshill, and Cinder-Hill; and includes the tract of Shilo, formerly extra-parochial. ...


Acres, 1, 644. Real property, £4,066; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 685; in 1861, 842. Houses, 180. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of a colliery and of iron-stone quarries. The property is subdivided. The manor of Nuthall belongs to R Holden, Esq; and that of Awsworth to the Earl of Stamford. Nuthall Temple, the seat of R. Holden, Esq., is modelled after a celebrated Italian villa, and stands in a fine park. An extensive colliery and a stone quarry are at Cinder-Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £350* Patron, R. Holden, Esq. The church is old, was repaired in 1860, and has a tower. The p. curacy of Awsworth is a separate benefice. A parochial school is in Nuthall; and a Primitive Methodist chapel and a school-charity of £5 are in Awsworth.

Nuthall through time

Nuthall is now part of Broxtowe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nuthall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nuthall, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7715

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nuthall ".