Place:


Barnoldswick  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barnoldswick like this:

BARNOLDSWICK, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Skipton, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpoolcanal, 5 miles N of Colne; and has a post office‡ under Colne. A railway from it, 2 miles long, to the Leeds and Bradford, was authorised in 1867. ...


Acres, 2,020. Pop., 2,810. Houses, 550. The parish is also called Gill-Kirk, from the situation of its church on the verge of a deep glen; and includes likewise the townships of Salterforth, Coates, and Brogden-with-Admergill. Acres, 6,040. Real property, £12,515. Pop., 3,478. Houses, 687. The property is much subdivided. Munch of the surface is hilly and high. An abbey was founded here in 1147; but, in consequence of local disputes, was removed to Kirkstall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £162.* Patron, R. Hodson, Esq. The church is Norman. There are four dissenting chapels and a national school.-The subdistrict comprises four parishes. Acres, 17,463. Pop., 5,986. Houses, 1,191.

Barnoldswick through time

Barnoldswick is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barnoldswick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barnoldswick, in Pendle and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/760

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barnoldswick ".