Place:


Hoveringam  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoveringam like this:

HOVERINGHAM, a village and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands near the river Trent, 1½ mile E of Lowdham r. station, and 5 S of Southwell; and has a post office under Southwell, and a spa in a field at the back of the church. The parish comprises 1, 050 acres. Real property, £2, 288. ...


Pop., 387. Houses, 83. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir John Sutton, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £62. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is old, in fair condition; and has a Norman porch, a tower, and some old table tombs. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Hoveringam through time

Hoveringam is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoveringam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoveringam, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7462

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoveringam ".