Place:


Hayton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hayton like this:

HAYTON, a parish in East Retford. district, Notts; on the Chesterfield canal, 3 miles E of Sutton r. station, and 3 NE by N of East Retford. It includes the hamlet of Tyln; and its post-town is Retford. Acres, 2,700. Real property, £3,519. Pop., 258. Houses, 59. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to H. B. Simpson, Esq. There was formerly a moated castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £152.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is Norman, with a lofty tower; and was re-stored in 1858. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5.

Hayton through time

Hayton is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hayton, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7444

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hayton ".