Place:


Hawton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawton like this:

HAWTON, a village and a parish in Newark district, Notts. The village stands near the river Devon, 1½ mile SSW of Newark r. station; and was nearly destroyed during the civil war. The parish comprises 2,160 acres. Post-town, Newark. Real property, £4,768; of which £600 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 246. Houses, 47. The property is all in one estate. Large quantities of gypsum are found; and there are two brickfields. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £750.* Patron, Robert Holden, Esq. The church is mainly early English, partly decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a pinnacled tower; was repaired in 1843; and contains a piscina, sedilia, an Easter sepulchre, and some ancient monuments.

Hawton through time

Hawton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7442

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawton ".