Place:


Burton Joyce  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Joyce like this:

BURTON-JOYCE, a village in Basford district, and a parish in Basford and Southwell districts, Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, adjacent to the Midland railway, 5 miles NE by E of Nottingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham. The parish includes also the chapelry of Bulcote. ...


Acres, 1,940. Real property, £3,076. Pop., 834. Houses, 177. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the families of successively Forz, Joaz, and Stapleton. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bulcote, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £145. Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is ancient but good; has a tower and spire; and contains a number of monuments. There are an Independent chapel of 1869, and a Wesleyan chapel.

Burton Joyce through time

Burton Joyce is now part of Gedling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Joyce itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Joyce, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7313

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Joyce ".