Place:


Wheatley  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheatley like this:

WHEATLEY, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Headington district, Oxford. The village stands on the Wycombe and Oxford railway, 5¼ miles E by S of Oxford; and has a post-office‡ under Oxford, a r. station with telegraph, and several inns.—The chapelry comprises 970 acres, and is in Cuddesdon parish. ...


Real property, £3,117. Pop., 1,031. Houses, 235. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £260.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church was built in 1857, and has a lofty spire finished in 1868. There are an Independent chapel, endowed schools with £45 a year, and charities £55.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 12,517. Pop., 3,679. Houses, 792.

Wheatley through time

Wheatley is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wheatley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheatley in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/699

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wheatley ".