Place:


Merthyr Mawr  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merthyr Mawr like this:

MERTHYR-MAWR, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the river Ogmore, near its influx to the Bristol channel, 2 miles SW of Bridgend r. station. It has a post office under Bridgend. Acres, 2,590; of which 490 are water. Real property, £1,616; of which £40 are in fisheries. Pop., 174. ...


Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Siwards and the Stradlings. Merthyr-Mawr House is the seat of the Nicholls; and its grounds contain two fine sculptured crosses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Valne, £92. Patron, Mrs. Nicholl. The church is good.

Merthyr Mawr through time

Merthyr Mawr is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merthyr Mawr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merthyr Mawr, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6798

Date accessed: 20th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merthyr Mawr ".