Place:


Tredegar  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tredegar like this:

TREDEGAR, a town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bedwelty parish and district, Monmouth. The town stands on the river Sirhowy, and on the Vale of Sirhowy and the Merthyr and Abergavenny railways, 12½ miles WSW of Abergavenny; was merely an insignificant village so late as 1800; grew to importance around iron-works, established by the Homfrays; acquired a tram railway southward, for the conveyance of minerals, so early as 1802; carries on great industry in the working and exporting of coal and iron; presents an appearance repulsive to lovers of tidiness and good scenery; comprises a central square and radiating streets; and has a head post-office,† two r. ...


stations with telegraph, a banking office, a town hall, a market house, a good modern church, eight dissenting chapels, a weekly market on Saturday, and three annual fairs. Pop. in 1851, 8,305; in 1861, 9,383. Houses, 1,720. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. Pop. in 1861, 20,318. Houses, 3,643. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300. Patron, the Incumbent of Bedwelty. The sub-district comprises all the Manmoeland Ushlawrcoed sections of Bedwelty parish. Pop. in 1851, 24,544; in 1861, 28,548. Houses, 5,140.

Tredegar through time

Tredegar is now part of Blaenau Gwent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaenau Gwent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tredegar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tredegar, in Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/679

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tredegar ".