Place:


Marcroes  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marcroes like this:

MARCROSS, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on Bristol channel, near Nash-Point, 6½ miles SW of Cowbridge r. station. Post town, Bridgend. Acres, 1,041; of which 155 are water. Real property, £918. Pop., 91. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. There are remains of an ancient castle, remains of a monastic grange, a cromlech called "old church, ''and a mineral spring. ...


A landslip occurred on 24 July 1833, precipitating about 200,000 tons of limestone rock from a lofty cliff to the beach. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £196.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is good.

Marcroes through time

Marcroes is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marcroes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marcroes in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6744

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marcroes ".