Place:


Llansanffraid  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llansanffraid like this:

LLANSAINTFFRAED, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Usk, the Brecon canal, and the Via Julia montana, 7 miles SE of Brecon r. station. It contains the village of Skethiog, and its posttown is Brecon. Acres, 2,247. Real property, £2,248; of which £40 are in fisheries. ...


Pop., 255. Houses, 44. The manor belonged to the Princes of Powis. Buckland was formerly the seat of the Jones family; is now the seat of J. P. Holford, Esq.; and stands in a remarkably beautiful situation. Skethiog House and Noyadd also are chief residences. Newton, now a farm-house, was the seat of the Vaughans, one of whom was the author of "Olor Iscanus, ''while another was rector of the parish and a chemist. An inscribed stone, called the Victorinus Stone, stands by the side of a public road. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £295. * Patron, T. Watkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Fread or St. Bride; is a lowly building, humiliated by a grand tomb to Col. G. Holford; and contains monuments of the Vaughans. Charities, £6. The name Llansaintffraed is equivalent to the English and Scotch Bridekirk, and to the Scotch Kilbride.

Llansanffraid through time

Llansanffraid is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llansanffraid itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llansanffraid, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6616

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llansanffraid ".