Place:


Llanhiledd  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanhiledd like this:

LLANHIDDEL, or LLANHILLETH, a parish, with a village, in Pontypool district, Monmouth; on the river Ebbw, and on the Western Valleys railway, near Aberbeeg Junction r. station, and 4½ miles WNW of Pontypool. Post town, Pontypool. Acres, 2,013. Real property, £4,212; of which £1,807 are in mines, £11 in quarries, and £10 in railways. ...


Pop. in 1851,899; in 1861,1,020. Houses, 203. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the presence of workmen employed in the Viaduct works. The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked. There are an ancient British camp and tumuli. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £109.* Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The church is dedicated to St. Iltyd, and is good; and some old yew-trees are near it.

Llanhiledd through time

Llanhiledd is now part of Blaenau Gwent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaenau Gwent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanhiledd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanhiledd, in Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6481

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanhiledd ".