Place:


Speldhurst  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Speldhurst like this:

SPELDHURST, a village and a parish in Tunbridge district, Kent. The village stands 2½ miles WNW of Tunbridge-Wells r. station. The parish includes Langton and Lower Green hamlets, Rusthall manor, and part of Tunbridge-Wells town. Post town, Tunbridge-Wells. Acres, 3,947. Real property, £24,883. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2,839; in 1861, 3,598. Houses, 665. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Powell, Esq. There are several mansions and neat villas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £303.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Saint. The church is modern. The p. curacies of Rusthalland Groombridge are separate benefices. There are national schools, and charities £23.

Speldhurst through time

Speldhurst is now part of Tunbridge Wells district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tunbridge Wells has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Speldhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Speldhurst, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6404

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Speldhurst ".