Pembury  Kent


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pembury like this:

PEMBURY, a village and a parish in Tunbridge district, Kent. The village stands 3 miles S E of Tunbridge r. station, and has a post-office‡ under Tunbridge. The parish contains also the hamlet of Lower P. Green, and comprises 3, 481 acres. Real property, £6, 308. 1851, 1, 114; in 1861, 1, 257. ...

Houses, 265. The manor belongs to Marquis Camden. Kennards is the seat of Sir JohnK. Shaw, Bart.; and Grovehurst, of H. G. W. Sperling, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Trinity, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £353. Patron, the Rev. G. S. Woodgate. The parish church stands about 1½ milefrom the village, includes Norman portions, and contains several very old and curious monuments. Trinity churchstands in the S; was erected recently, at a cost of about £2, 500; and is in the later English style, with tower and spire. There are a national school, alms-houses, and charities £70.

Pembury through time

Pembury is now part of Tunbridge Wells district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tunbridge Wells has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pembury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pembury, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th November 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pembury ".