Place:


Beeston  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beeston like this:

BEESTON, a parish in Basford district, Notts; on the Midland railway, adjacent to the river Trent, 3 ¼. miles SW of Nottingham. It contains the hamlet of Beeston-Ryelands; and has a station on the railway and a post office‡ under Nottingham. Acres, 1,440. Real property, £11,307. ...


Pop., 3,195. Houses, 698. The property is subdivided. There are a large silk-mill, and considerable manufacture of lace and hosiery. A canal, called the Beeston cut, goes off here from the river Trent to Nottingham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is a handsome structure of 1844, conjoined to the chancel of an old previous pile. A handsome parsonage was built in 1860. There are two Baptist chapels, two Methodist chapels, a public library, a national school, and charities £24.

Beeston through time

Beeston is now part of Broxtowe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beeston, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/628

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beeston ".