Place:


Littlebourne  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littlebourne like this:

LITTLEBOURN, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands on a branch of the river Stour, adjacent to Lee Priory, 1½ mile NNE of Beakesbourn r. station, and 4 E of Canterbury; consists of a main street and a cross one; and has a post0ffice under Sandwich, and a fair on 5 July. ...


The parish comprises 2,102 acres. Real property, £5,022. Pop., 757. Houses, 165. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the abbey of St. Augustine, and to an Italian monastery. Ellbridge House is the seat of D. Denne, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £240. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is early English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Dennes. There is a parochial school.

Littlebourne through time

Littlebourne is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littlebourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littlebourne, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6261

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littlebourne ".