Place:


Amble  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Amble like this:

AMBLE, a township in Warkworth parish, Northumberland; on the coast, and on the Coquet branch railway, 1½ mile SSE of Warkworth. It contains a village of its own name, well-built and chiefly modern; has a post office‡ under Acklington, Independent, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels, and extensive coal-mines; and carries on commerce at Coquet harbour. Acres, 1,142. Pop., 1,275. Houses, 26 4.

Amble through time

Amble is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Amble itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amble, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/625

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Amble ".