Place:


Brigham  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brigham like this:

BRIGHAM, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Derwent, and on the Cockermouth and Workington railway, 2 miles W of Cockermouth; and has a station on the railway. Real property, £4,365. Pop., 504. Houses, 122. The parish contains also the town and chapelry of Cockermouth, and the townships of Blindbothel, Graysouthen, Setmurthy, Eaglesfield, Mossar, Buttermere, Whinfell, and Embleton; and its Post Town is Cockermouth. ...


Acres, 22,580. Real property, £46,142. Pop., 7,874. Houses, 1,663. The property is much subdivided. The surface is greatly diversified, ranging from soft valley to bold high mountain; and contains much brilliant scenery. Limestone, freestone, slate, and coal are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £190. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is decorated English, in good condition. The chapelries of Cockermouth, Lorton, Mossar, Setmurthy, Wythop, Embleton, and Buttermere are separate benefices. There are a number of dissenting chapels, and charities £142.

Brigham through time

Brigham is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brigham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brigham, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6217

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brigham ".