Place:


Mathon  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mathon like this:

MATHON, a parish in the district of Ledbury and county of Worcester; under the Malvern hills, adjacent to Herefordshire, 3 miles W of Great Malvern r. station. It contains part of the chapelry of West Malvern, which has a post office under Malvern. Acres, 3,366. Real property, £6,284. Pop. ...


in 1851,824; in 1861,1,014. Houses, 194. The increase of pop. was chiefly within West Malvern chapelry; and the entire pop. in the Mathon part of that chapelry in 1861 was 539. The property in Mathon proper is divided among a few; and that in West Malvern chapelry is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Mathon Court is the seat of Mrs. Vale; Moorend House, of R. A. Swain, Esq.; Southend, of T. Bennett, Esq.; and Netherly, of R. M'Bean, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £194.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is variously Norman, decorated English, and later; underwent some recent embellishment; comprises nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains a fine old carved pulpit, a new octagonal stone font, and monuments of several ancient families. There is a national school.

Mathon through time

Mathon is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mathon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mathon in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6179

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mathon ".