Place:


Kendal  Westmorland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kendal like this:

Kendal.-- (or Kirkby Kendal), mun. bor., market town, par., and township, Westmorland, on river Kent, 20 miles N. of Lancaster, 46 S. of Carlisle, and 261 from London by rail-par., 74,062 ac., pop. 20,752; township, 2242 ac., pop. 11,719; bor., 2622 ac., pop. 13,696; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. ...


Market-day, Saturday. The town was incorporated in the reign of Elizabeth. It is well built, and occupies a healthy situation. Woollen mfrs. have long been a leading industry among the inhabitants. As early as the reigns of Richard II. and Henry IV. special laws were passed to regulate the trade in "Kendal cloth." The goods now produced are mostly heavy fabrics, such as railway wrappers, carpets, trouserings, &c. A canal communicates with the Lancashire coal district. Kendal returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.

Kendal through time

Kendal is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kendal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kendal, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/617

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kendal ".