Place:


Gerrards Cross  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gerrards Cross like this:

GERRARDS-CROSS, a village and a chapelry in Fulmer parish, Bucks. The village stands 3 miles ESE of Beaconsfield, and 6 N by E of Slough r. station; and has a post office‡ under Slough. The chapelry was recently constituted, and does not appear to have defined limits. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £136.* . Patrons, the Misses Reid. The church is a memorial one to Major-General Reid, by his sisters, the Misses Reid; stands on a wide common; was built in 1859, after designs by Tite; and is in a style travestied from the Lombardic.

Gerrards Cross through time

Gerrards Cross is now part of South Bucks district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bucks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gerrards Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gerrards Cross, in South Bucks and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6162

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gerrards Cross ".