Place:


Netley Marsh  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Netley Marsh like this:

NETLEY, or Netley-Marsh, a chapelry in Eling parish, Hants; 2 miles W N W of Totton r. station, and 6 W by N of Southampton. It was constituted in 1855; and it has a post-office, of the name of Netley-Marsh, under Southampton. Pop., 1,081. Houses, 208. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £128.* Patron, Miss Sturgess Bourne. The church is a handsome recent edifice, and was erected and endowedby Miss S. Bourne.

Netley Marsh through time

Netley Marsh is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Netley Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Netley Marsh, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6125

Date accessed: 21st May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Netley Marsh ".