Place:


Great Rowsley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Rowsley like this:

ROWSLEY, a village and a township in Bakewell parish, and a chapelry partly also in Darley and Youlgreave parishes, Derby. The village stands on the river Derwent, at the influx of the Wye, and on the Derby and Buxton railway, 3½ miles S E of Bakewell; and has a r.station with telegraph, a post-office under Bakewell, and a hotel. ...


The township comprises 667 acres. Real property, £1, 344. Pop., 295. Houses, 53. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 616. Houses, 107. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £55.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church was built in 1855, and enlarged in 1859; and includes a mortuary chapel, containing a fine monument to the late Lady John Manners.

Great Rowsley through time

Great Rowsley is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Rowsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Rowsley in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5901

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Rowsley ".