Place:


East Woodhay  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Woodhay like this:

WOODHAY (East), a parish, with numerous hamlets and with Woolton-Hill chapelry, in Kingsclere district, Hants; 4½ miles SSE of Kintbury r. station, and 4½ SW of Newbury. Post town, Newbury. Acres, 4,966. Real property, £6,795. Pop., 1,533. Houses, 346. The property is much subdivided. ...


A palace of the Bishops of Winchester was here. The living is a rectory, united with Ashmansworth, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1,078.* Patron, the Bishop of W. The church's chancel was rebuilt in 1850. The vicarage of Woolton-Hill is a separate benefice. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £16. Bishops Hooper, Ken, and Lowth were rectors.

East Woodhay through time

East Woodhay is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Woodhay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Woodhay, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5819

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Woodhay ".