Place:


Horningsea  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horningsea like this:

HORNINGSEA, or HORNSEA, a parish, with a village, in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on the river Cam, and on the Cambridge and Ely railway, 3½ miles NE by N of Cambridge. Post town, Cambridge. Acres, 1, 580. Real property, £2, 604. Pop., 402. Houses, 82. An ancient priory here was destroyed, about. 870, by the Danes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £4.

Horningsea through time

Horningsea is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horningsea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horningsea in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5811

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horningsea ".