Place:


Cantref  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cantref like this:

CANTREFF, or Cynnedd, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; near the river Usk and the Brecon and Hereford railway, 2½ miles SSE of Brecon. It includes the chapelry of Nantddu; and its Post Town is Brecon. Acres, about 20,000. Real property, £1,807. Pop., 221. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. The surface includes the Brecknock Beacons; which see. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. T. Powell. The church is good. The p. curacy of Nantddu is a separate benefice. The learned T. Powell was rector.

Cantref through time

Cantref is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cantref itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cantref, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5447

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cantref ".