Place:


Holycross Westgate  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holycross Westgate like this:

HOLYCROSS-WESTGATE, a parish, consisting of two parts, H. W. Within and H. W. Without, in Kent; adjoining St. Dunstan, and forming a western outskirt of Canterbury city. H. W. Within is in Canterbury district, and comprises 31 acres. Real property, £880. Pop., 249. Houses, 48. H. W. Without is in Bridge district, and comprises 72 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 748. Pop., 816. Houses, 165. The entire parish is now in Canterbury borough; but only H. W. Within was in it prior to the reform act. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of St. Peter, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church was rebuilt about 1381, and was recently in bad condition.

Holycross Westgate through time

Holycross Westgate is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holycross Westgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holycross Westgate, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5410

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holycross Westgate ".