Place:


Swaffham Bulbeck  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swaffham Bulbeck like this:

SWAFFHAM-BULBECK, a parish, with a village, in Newmarket district, Cambridge; 4¼ miles N of Six-Mile-Bottom r. station, and 6 WSW of Newmarket. It has a post-office under Cambridge. Acres, 3,000. Real property, £5,492. Pop., 873. Houses, 187. Upper Hare Park is the seat of Isaac Herbert Wilkinson, Esq. ...


A Benedictine nunnery was founded at Swaffham-Abbey, before the time of King John, by one of the Bulbeck family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £219.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is of the 14th century. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £164.

Swaffham Bulbeck through time

Swaffham Bulbeck is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swaffham Bulbeck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swaffham Bulbeck in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5390

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swaffham Bulbeck ".