Place:


Awre  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Awre like this:

AWRE, a tything and a parish in the district of Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucester. The tything lies on the river Severn, and on the South Wales railway, 2 miles SE of Newnham; and has a post office under Newnham, and a r. station. The parish includes also Bledisloe, Hagloe, Etloe, and Blakeney. Acres, 6,115; of which 2,035 are water. ...


Real property, £10,888. Pop., 1,526. Houses, 287. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land has been washed away by the Severn. Iron pyrites occur. The weaving of cloth is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £530.* The church is in good repair. The vicarage of Blakeney is a separate charge. Sternhold, one of the translators of the English metrical version of the Psalms, was a native.

Awre through time

Awre is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Awre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Awre, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/537

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Awre ".