Place:


Killington  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Killington like this:

KILLINGTON, a township-chapelry in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland; on the river Lune, and the Ingleton railway, between Middleton and Sedbergh stations, 7 miles N of Kirkby-Lonsdale. Post town, Kirk by-Lonsdale, under Burton, Westmoreland.. Acres, 4, 875. Real property, £2, 838. Pop., 273. ...


Houses, 48. The property is subdivided. Killington Hall is a chief residence, and stands near an old tower of the Pickerings. Much of the land is moor and mountain. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Valne, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale. The church is ancient.

Killington through time

Killington is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Killington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Killington, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5354

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Killington ".