Place:


Firbank  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Firbank like this:

FIRBANK, a township-chapelry in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland; near the river Lune, the boundary with Yorkshire, the Ingleton railway, and the Sedbergh r. station, 10 miles N of Kirkby-Lonsdale. Post town, Middleton-in-Lonsdale, under Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 3, 017. Real property, £1, 453. Pop., 345. Houses, 47. The property is much subdivided. Much of the land is moor and mountain; and a conspicuous part of it is Firbank fell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £83.* Patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale. The church is good.

Firbank through time

Firbank is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Firbank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Firbank, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5350

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Firbank ".