Place:


Bosbury  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bosbury like this:

BOSBURY, a village and a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford. The village stands on the river Leddon, under the Malvern hills, 3 miles WNW of Colwall r. station, and 4 N by W of Ledbury; and has a post office under Ledbury. The parish includes the parochial divisions of Upleadon and Catley. Acres, 4,769. ...


Real property, £8,499. Pop., 1,090. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. An old building, now used as a farmhouse, was once a seat of the Bishops of Hereford. The parish is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £337. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient and good. A grammar school has £90 from endowment; other charities £33.

Bosbury through time

Bosbury is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bosbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bosbury in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5310

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bosbury ".