Place:


Cranleigh  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cranleigh like this:

CRANLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands near the Guildford and Horsham railway, 8 miles SE by S of Guildford; has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Guildford, and a fair on Whit-Tuesday; and gives the title of Viscount to Earl Onslow. ...


The parish comprises 7, 340 acres. Real property, 7, 318. Pop., 1, 393. Houses, 280. The property is much subdivided. Vacherie, now demolished but still traceable, was the grange of the Brays of Shere; afterwards occupied by Day, the author of "Sandford and Merton." Baynards and Knoll, now farm-houses, were also seats of the Brays. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1, 195.* Patron, the Rev. J. H. Sapte. The church is a well-restored ancient edifice, with tracery and fine stained windows. A county school or college, in the pointed collegiate style, was erected in 1865, at a cost of £8, 000. Thomas de Granley, Archbishop of Dublin, was a native.—The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 32, 194. Pop., 7, 553. Houses, 1, 488.

Cranleigh through time

Cranleigh is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cranleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cranleigh, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5226

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cranleigh ".