Place:


East Horsley  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Horsley like this:

HORSLEY (EAST), a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands 3½ miles NNE of Gomshall r. station, and 5½ SW of Leatherhead; is a pleasant place; and has a post office under Woking Station, and a good inn.-Acres of the parish, 1,824. Real property, £1, 880. ...


Pop., 228. Houses, 50. Most of the property belongs to the Earl of Lovelace. East Horsley Towers, the Earl's seat, includes an ancient tower; was recently extended by the addition of two stately towers, and of a hall 56 feet long, with open timbered roof, of original construction; contains the books and manuscripts bequeathed by John Locke to Lord Chancellor King; contains also many valuable pictures and marbles; and stands in a finely undulating and well wooded park. A manor here was given, in 1036, by the Danish jarl Thored to Christ's Church, Canterbury; and continued with it till the dissolution. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £257.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with low embattled tower; has been entirely and tastelessly remodelled; and contains a brass of Bishop Booth of Exeter. There are a free school, and charities £5.

East Horsley through time

East Horsley is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Horsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Horsley, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5225

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Horsley ".