Place:


Litton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Litton like this:

LITTON, a hamlet in Tideswell parish, Derby; ¾ of a mile E of Tideswell. It has a post office under Sheffield. Real property, £3,613; of which £10 are in quarries. Pop., 974. Houses, 1 77. The manor belongs to Lord Scarsdale. Some of the inhabitants are employed in stocking-weaving, and some in lead mines. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Bagshaw, "the apostle of the Peak," was a native.

Litton through time

Litton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Litton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Litton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5217

Date accessed: 25th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Litton ".