Place:


Edensor  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edensor like this:

EDENSOR, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bakewell district, Derby. The village stands on the river Derwent, ½ a mile W of Chatsworth House, and 2 ENE of Bakewell r. station; is a pretty place of villa-cottages; and has a post office under Chesterfield, and a good inn. The township includes the village, and comprises 4, 328 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 669. Pop., 272. Houses, 51. The parish contains also the township of Pilsley. Acres, 4, 829. Real property, £5, 363. Pop., 592. Houses, 123. The property is divided among a few. The church is very old; has a pinnacled tower; and contains a splendid alabaster monument to the first Earl of Devonshire. Charities, £73.

Edensor through time

Edensor is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edensor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edensor in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5208

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edensor ".