Place:


Hackington  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hackington like this:

HACKINGTON, or ST. STEPHENS, a parish in Blean district, Kent; on the river Stour, the Canterbury and Whitstable railway, and the Canterbury and Ramsgate railway, contiguous to St. Dunstans, on the N side of Canterbury. Part of it is included in Canterbury city. Post town, Canterbury. Acres, 1, 984. ...


Real property, £4, 668. Pop., 616. Houses, 122. Pop. of the part Within Canterbury, 94. Houses, 16. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the 16th century, to Sir Roger Manwood; and passed to the Colepepers and the Haleses. Hale's Place, near the churchyard, superseded a mansion of the Manwoods; was built in 1768, by Sir Edward Hales; and is an edifice in the Ionic style. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £412.* Patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church is cruciform; retains portions built by Archbishop Baldwin; shows characters from early English to perpendicular; has a W tower, with massive early English buttresses; was recently restored; and contains, in the S transept, a fine Tudor monument of Sir Roger Manwood. There are a national school, Manwood's hospital with £49, and other charities with £15.

Hackington through time

Hackington is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hackington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hackington, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4973

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hackington ".