Place:


Llancarfan  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llancarfan like this:

LLANCARVAN, a hamlet and a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan. The hamlet lies 3 miles from the coast, and 4½ SE of Cowbridge r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Llancastle, Llanbethery, Lliegecastle, Molton, Pennon, and Walterstone; and its Post town is Cowbridge. Acres, 4,500. ...


Real property, £5,463. Pop., 668. Houses, 127. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Sitsyllts, and passed to Walter de Mapes, who founded Walteratone. The surface is part of the tract called the Vale of slamorgan. Limestone is found; and there is a mineral spring. A monastic establishment was founded here in the 6th century, by Cadoc the Wise, and was called Carbani Vallis. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £254. * Patron, the Bishop of:landaff. The church is of the 12th century; was built by De Mapes, the translator of the British Chronicle; and was reported in 1859 as very filapidated. Caradoc, the Welsh historian, whose Annals were published in 1684 by Dr. Powel, was a native.

Llancarfan through time

Llancarfan is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llancarfan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llancarfan in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4951

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llancarfan ".