Place:


Willingham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willingham like this:

WILLINGHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chesterton district, Cambridge. The village stands 1½ mile N of Long Stanton r. station, and 6¼ E by S of S.T. Ives; and has a post-office under St. Ives, Hunts. The parish comprises 4,663 acres. Real property, £9,149. ...


Pop., 1,630. Houses, 379. Large quantities of cheese are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £677.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is decorated English, large, and good; includes a N chapel, with singularly constructed stone roof; and has a lofty pinnacled tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £35 a year, alms houses with £35, and other charities £20.—The sub-district contains 13 parishes. Acres, 33,215. Pop., 9,633. Houses, 2,147.

Willingham through time

Willingham is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willingham in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4634

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willingham ".