Place:


Tanfield  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tanfield like this:

TANFIELD, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Durham. The village stands 5½ miles S by W of Scotswood r. station, and 7 SW of Gateshead; is connected by mineral railways with the Tyne; and has a post-office under Gateshead. The chapelry includes Beamish and Lintz-green township, and is in Chester-le-Street parish. ...


Acres, 7,072. Real property, £21,043; of which £10,810 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,480; in 1861, 4,593. Houses, 875. The increase of pop. arose from the working of new coal mines. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £133.* Patron, Lord Ravensworth. The church is good. Charities, £48.—The sub-district includes also Kyo and Collierley townships and comprises 9,357 acres. Pop., 7,594. Houses, 1,474.

Tanfield through time

Tanfield is now part of Derwentside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derwentside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tanfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tanfield, in Derwentside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/411

Date accessed: 18th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tanfield ".